Fenerbahce Codexery

Kadıköy Stadium

The first venue in the Ottoman Empire to host mass sporting events, home to Fenerbahçe since 1908.

The Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium, known for sponsorship reasons as Chobani Stadium Fenerbahçe Şükrü Saracoğlu Sports Complex or simply Chobani Stadium, is a football stadium located in the Kadıköy district of Istanbul, Turkey. It has been the traditional home venue of major Turkish multi-sport club Fenerbahçe S.K. since its opening on 17 September 1908. This stadium holds the distinction of being the first venue in the Ottoman Empire to host mass sporting events, and it is one of the highest capacity stadiums in Turkey. It is named after Şükrü Saracoğlu, one of Fenerbahçe S.K.'s longest-serving presidents and an important statesman who was also both the Prime Minister (1942–1946) and the Foreign Minister (1938–1942) of Turkey.

location
Kadıköy district of Istanbul, Turkey
affiliation
Fenerbahçe S.K.
opened_current_version
2006

Verified Timeline

190819221929193219331938194219461949196419651982199819992006200920152025

Lore & Background

Before the stadium was built, the field was known as Papazın Çayırı (lit. 'the priest's meadow'). It became the very first official association football pitch of Turkey, where the first league games of the Istanbul Football League were all held consecutively. Until the Young Turks proclaimed the 2nd Constitutional Era in 1908, this green area had long been part of the Sultan's private estate. That same year, a group of passionate sportsmen, led by Nurizade Ziya Songülen (the founder and first president of Fenerbahçe) and Cemil Topuzlu (then the physician to Abdul Hamid II), launched an initiative to secure land in Istanbul dedicated to football activities. In 1908, the local teams in the league needed a regular football field, so this land was leased from the Sultan of Ottoman Empire Abdul Hamid II for 30 Ottoman gold pounds a year. The total construction cost was 3,000 Ottoman gold pounds. The stadium was named 'Union Club Field' by a group of sports enthusiasts led by Ziya Songülen, together with Cemil Topuzlu and Reji Whittall — one of the earliest figures to play football within the Ottoman Empire. The name was derived from the 'Union Club', an organization which functioned as the football federation of that era.

In Their Own Story

The Union Club Field was used by many teams in İstanbul, including the owner, Union Club (which changed its name to İttihatspor after World War I), Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray, and Beşiktaş. However, it lost its importance when a bigger venue, the Taksim Stadium, was built in 1922. İttihatspor was forced to sell it to the state, in which Şükrü Saracoğlu was a member of the CHP government. Thus, the ownership of the stadium passed to the state, but the field was immediately leased to Fenerbahçe. Later, on 27 May 1933, Fenerbahçe purchased the stadium from the government when Şükrü Saracoğlu was the President of Fenerbahçe, for either the symbolic amount of ₺1 or the worth of the stadium which was ₺9,000. The name of the field was changed to Fenerbahçe Stadium, making Fenerbahçe SK the first football club in Turkey to own their stadium. By the year 1949, Fenerbahçe Stadium was the largest football venue in Turkey, with a seating capacity of 25,000. The field was closed to matches in 1964 and demolished in 1965. After 18 years of construction, it was officially opened for service on September 19, 1982, with the Fenerbahçe-Altay match. The name was changed once more on 22 July 1998, becoming Fenerbahçe Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium. In 1999, the latest round of renovations started, and the entire renewal and construction project was finalised in 2006. On 4 October 2006, after numerous inspections by UEFA, the stadium was selected to host the 2009 UEFA Cup Final, which went down in history as the last Final of the UEFA Cup football tournament. As of 3 August 2015, Ülker secured naming rights in a 10-year deal worth $90 million. Chobani secured naming rights on 30 July 2025, starting from the 2025–26 season, for 5+5 seasons, a total of 10 years, with a payment of €10 million per season.

Reader's Guide

A number of artworks are placed in front of the stadium: a bust of Atatürk, a statue of Lefter Küçükandonyadis, a statue of Can Bartu, a statue of Alex, and a statue of Eda Erdem. The stadium was renovated between 1929 and 1932, 1965 and 1982, and finally 1999 and 2006. It was inaugurated on 17 September 1908. The stadium hosted the 2009 UEFA Cup Final, the last final of that tournament before it was rebranded as the UEFA Europa League starting from the 2009–10 season.

Did You Know?

More in Stadium & Fan Culture

Related in Fenerbahce

Links follow this subject's own source article.

Elsewhere in the Fenerbahce universe

Spotted an error? Know more?

This is a living reference — every entry is fact-audited, and reader corrections feed straight into our audit queue. Suggest an edit · See this site's audit record

Comments

Loading…
Open in the interactive codex →