Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium
The first football venue in the Ottoman Empire, home of Fenerbahçe since 1908.
Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium (Turkish pronunciation: [ˈʃycɾy saɾaˈdʒoːɫu]), known for sponsorship reasons as Chobani Stadium Fenerbahçe Şükrü Saracoğlu Sports Complex or simply Chobani Stadium, is a football stadium located in the Kadıköy district of Istanbul, Turkey. It has been the traditional home venue of major Turkish multi-sport club Fenerbahçe S.K. since its opening on 17 September 1908. This stadium holds the distinction of being the first venue in the Ottoman Empire to host mass sporting events, especially football. It was inaugurated on 17 September 1908 and renovated between 1929 and 1932, 1965 and 1982, and finally 1999 and 2006. It is one of the highest capacity stadiums in Turkey. The stadium is named after Şükrü Saracoğlu, one of Fenerbahçe S.K.'s longest-serving presidents and an important statesman who was also both the Prime Minister (1942–1946) and the Foreign Minister (1938–1942) of Turkey.
- Location
- Kadıköy, Istanbul, Turkey
- Named After
- Şükrü Saracoğlu (Former President)
- Original Opening
- 1908 (as a simple field)
- Primary Tenant
- Fenerbahçe S.K.
Verified Timeline
Lore & Background
Before the stadium was built, the field was known as Papazın Çayırı (lit. 'the priest's meadow'). It became the very first official association football pitch of Turkey, where the first league games of the Istanbul Football League were all held consecutively. Until the Young Turks proclaimed the 2nd Constitutional Era in 1908, this green area had long been part of the Sultan's private estate. That same year, a group of passionate sportsmen, led by Nurizade Ziya Songülen (the founder and first president of Fenerbahçe) and Cemil Topuzlu (then the physician to Abdul Hamid II), launched an initiative to secure land in Istanbul dedicated to football activities. They chose this plot as the ideal location. In 1908, the land was leased from Sultan Abdul Hamid II for 30 Ottoman gold pounds a year, with a total construction cost of 3,000 Ottoman gold pounds. The stadium was named 'Union Club Field' by a group of sports enthusiasts led by Ziya Songülen, together with Cemil Topuzlu and Reji Whittall. The name was derived from the 'Union Club', an organization that functioned as the football federation of that era.
In Their Own Story
The Union Club Field was used by many teams in İstanbul, including Union Club (which changed its name to İttihatspor after World War I), Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray, and Beşiktaş. However, it lost its importance when a bigger venue, the Taksim Stadium, was built in 1922. İttihatspor was forced to sell it to the state, in which Şükrü Saracoğlu was a member of the CHP government. The ownership passed to the state, but the field was immediately leased to Fenerbahçe. On 27 May 1933, Fenerbahçe purchased the stadium from the government when Şükrü Saracoğlu was the President of Fenerbahçe, for either the symbolic amount of ₺1 or the worth of the stadium which was ₺9,000. The name was changed to Fenerbahçe Stadium, making Fenerbahçe SK the first football club in Turkey to own their stadium. By 1949, Fenerbahçe Stadium was the largest football venue in Turkey, with a seating capacity of 25,000. The field was closed to matches in 1964 and demolished in 1965. After 18 years of construction, it officially opened on September 19, 1982, with the Fenerbahçe-Altay match. The name changed again on 22 July 1998 to Fenerbahçe Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium. In 1999, the latest round of renovations started, with stands torn down one at a time as Turkish Super League seasons progressed, finalised in 2006. On 4 October 2006, after numerous inspections by UEFA, the stadium was selected to host the 2009 UEFA Cup Final, which went down in history as the last Final of the UEFA Cup tournament, rebranded as the UEFA Europa League starting from the 2009–10 season. On 3 August 2015, Ülker secured naming rights in a 10-year deal worth $90 million, renaming it Ülker Stadium Fenerbahçe Şükrü Saracoğlu Sports Complex. Chobani secured naming rights on 30 July 2025, for 5+5 seasons (10 years total), with a payment of €10 million per season, starting from the 2025–26 season.
Reader's Guide
The stadium's history is marked by four major renovation periods: 1929–1932, 1965–1982, and 1999–2006. The 1999–2006 project saw each of the four stands torn down and rebuilt one at a time while the team continued playing league matches. The stadium was the venue for the 2009 UEFA Cup Final, the last final before the tournament was rebranded as the UEFA Europa League. A number of artworks are placed in front of the stadium: a bust of Atatürk, a statue of Lefter Küçükandonyadis, a statue of Can Bartu, a statue of Alex, and a statue of Eda Erdem. The stadium's current sponsorship name is Chobani Stadium, effective from the 2025–26 season.
Did You Know?
- The stadium was originally called 'Union Club Field', named after the organization that functioned as the football federation of that era.
- The land was leased from Sultan Abdul Hamid II for 30 Ottoman gold pounds a year in 1908.
- Fenerbahçe became the first football club in Turkey to own their stadium when they purchased it on 27 May 1933.
- The stadium hosted the 2009 UEFA Cup Final, the last final before the tournament was rebranded as the UEFA Europa League.
- Chobani secured naming rights on 30 July 2025 for €10 million per season over 10 years.
More in Club History & Eras
Related in Fenerbahce
Links follow this subject's own source article.
Elsewhere in the Fenerbahce universe
Spotted an error? Know more?
This is a living reference — every entry is fact-audited, and reader corrections feed straight into our audit queue. Suggest an edit · See this site's audit record
